Reading Passages and Test Items
Reading Grade 5 Item Sample
STAAR Test Maker Reading features passages for grades 1 through 8 and for ELA I, II, and III. Passages and test items are created specifically for Texas by an in-house team of experienced assessment writers and editors.
The Reading item bank offers the following special features:
- More than 16,000 rigorous items.
- Each tested grade includes 60-100 passages.
- All materials are grade-level appropriate, and each item primarily assesses one Student Expectation.
- All Readiness and Supporting Standards are covered in each grade and skill area, including vocabulary, media literacy, rhetorical techniques, poetic forms, and literary devices.
- The item bank includes passages and items for more difficult expectations, such as those covering myths, epic poems, and rhetorical fallacies.
Reading Item Highlights
The item bank includes ALL Reading passage types found on STAAR exams: Fiction, Expository, Persuasive, Drama, Procedural, User Manuals, Craft Projects, Poetry (Narrative, Lyrical, Free Verse, Epic).
Items are written to match STAAR formatting and style; vocabulary conforms to EDL grade levels.
Paired passages are available for each grade, and they include a broad range of topics.
Items are selectable by DOK, Lexile, Word Count, Dale-Chall, Spache, and more.
Passages and test items undergo rigorous review and revision to keep them current, relevant, and free of bias — scenarios are inclusive across gender, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion.
Passages often include numerous graphics and corresponding questions about tone, formality, audience, message, and medium.
Writers and editors follow Texas Education Agency item-creation guidelines.
Writing Passages and Test Items
Grade 4 Writing Item Samples
STAAR Test Maker provides more than 40 prompts per grade for grades 4 and 7 and ELA I, II, and III. Coverage of all Revision and Editing standards for these grades is also included.
Our Personal Narrative, Expository, and Persuasive prompts are phrased and formatted to match the STAAR released tests.
The Revision and Editing passages align with the STAAR-represented genres: Fiction, Literary Nonfiction, Expository, and Persuasive.
Revision and Editing passages and items are designed to assess proficiency of fundamental and advanced composition skills.
All Writing items adhere to the Composition, Revision, and Editing Reporting Categories.